The time has come for your child to attend their very first dental visit! While such an occasion is certainly exciting, it can also be a bit overwhelming, especially if you’re unsure where to find a reliable children’s dentist.
At our local dental clinic, we provide pediatric dentistry in Country Hills. So, if you’re looking for reliable and convenient care for your little one, we’ve got you covered. Get in touch with our staff to book an appointment today!
What is Pediatric Dentistry?
Like a pediatric doctor, a pediatric dentist specializes in delivering oral health care to infants, kids, and teenagers. Typically, once a patient turns 18, they’ll transition to a general dentist.
These dental professionals must complete a residency on top of their mandatory education, which consists of an undergraduate degree and graduating from a certified four-year dental program. The additional training provided by the residency helps them refine their skills, engage with young patients, and deal with a wide array of behavioural issues. Pediatric dentists also possess extensive knowledge about how our bodies develop as we grow, which includes our teeth and gums.
Outlined below are just some of the many services that a pediatric dentist near you can provide:
- Dental exams and cleanings.
- Educating children about their dental health. This can entail showing them the proper way to brush and floss, as well as reinforcing the importance of a balanced diet.
- Habit counselling (which is particularly helpful to parents). They can help address pacifier use and thumb sucking.
- Preventing and repairing damage caused by tooth decay.
- Addressing tongue and lip tie.
- Repairing a variety of dental injuries including chipped, cracked, or missing teeth.
- Early orthodontic assessment.
Pedantic dentists are also skilled at making your child feel more relaxed while sitting in the dentist’s chair. They understand better than anyone that no matter what age a patient is, dental anxiety is a common issue. But rest assured, your child will be in safe, capable hands the entire time.
For more information about pediatric visits, contact your dentist in Country Hills. They’ll happily address any concerns or questions that you may have.
Where Can I Find a Pediatric Dentist?
It’s advised that, once your child’s first tooth comes in, you bring them in for their first dental checkup. This usually occurs when they reach 6 months old. We understand that being a parent means that you’re busy 90% of the time, so carving out even a half hour to find a good dentist for your kiddo can be tough.
To help you in that regard, here’s a list of things you should keep an eye out for when in the market for finding a pediatric dentist who fits right in with your family.
- Consider their knowledge and skill set. First and foremost, your dentist must be qualified. Pediatric dentistry is a recognized dental specialty, which means that your dentist should have received advanced training. They should also be well-versed in handling different behaviours.
- A welcoming atmosphere. With children especially, a bright, friendly atmosphere can make all the difference. Not only will this help them feel more relaxed but knowing that your child’s dental team truly cares and takes steps to make their nerves disappear, will make you feel more at ease as a parent too.
- Dental education. The habits we develop when we’re young stick with us as we grow up. A good pediatric dentist will educate your child on the importance of maintaining a proper oral health regime as well as empowering them to prioritize this in their daily lives.
- Good service. It’s one thing for your dentist to be friendly, but it’s another thing to provide effective care. A great pediatric dentist examines and cleans your child’s oral cavity and performs a thorough risk assessment to identify whether anything is happening with your child’s teeth and gums that may be impactful down the road.
Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for referrals, whether from friends, family, or your own general dentist!
Are you looking to book an appointment for pediatric dentistry near you? At NorthPointe Dental Clinic, we can’t wait to work with your family and help your child with their oral health. Call or visit our website today to schedule a consultation.